Thursday, April 13, 2006

 

Trans Fat

I'm reading my usual morning paper this morning and I came across an article that I thought was interesting. No politics today (although I want to comment more than I do). It involves the level of trans fats that American fast food companies put in their food.

There was an international study done on the trans fat content between the fast food restaurants throughout the world. Now, it may not come as a surprise that the US has the highest level. Here, take these comparisons:

New York McDonalds: large fries and chicken nuggets combo: 10.2 grams of trans fat. Same meal in Denmark: .33 grams trans fat. In Spain, Russia and Czech Republic, 3 grams.

What is the difference? It's how the food is prepared. In America, we use partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. Of course, the explanation from Yum! (which owns KFC) said it's a taste preference. The researchers say it's profit. hydrogenated vegetable oil is cheaper. Once again, the almighty dollar wins out in America. Profit over anything else.

Why in Denmark is it lower? Well, in 2004, they passed a law that allows for only minuscule amounts of trans fat in foods.

Another interesting fact is that eating just 5 grams of trans fat per day increases the risk of heart disease 25%.

Ever wonder why there is a large obesity problem in the US? Ever wonder why heart disease is the #1 killer among Americans?

There are several ways this will change:
1) People will finally wake up and boycott these chains until they change
2) Government will pass a law like Denmark forcing the fast food chains to change
3) People will wake up and realize that fast food comes with a price. It is slowly killing you. Maybe fast food isn't the best way to feed yourself or your family.

I guess I've been just more conscience about what foods I eat now that I'm on a diet. Not that I was a big fast food guy before, but I'm certainly not going to eat it when I get off this. I want to keep the weight off and eat healthier because I want to live!

Comments:
Got a book suggestion then since you are on this kick. "Eat Drink, and be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating"
ISBN: 0743223225
M.D. Walter Willett

You can get it at the library like I did. He talks about how bad trans fat is as well, and points out how most fad diets are bad for you. Also talks about the health benifits of whole versus processed food.



~will
 
Thanks.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?